Kuler 5 Project
The Kuler 5 Project is a community project I want to start right here on CreativeDojo. Similar to the Five Second Projects by Nick Cambell & 99 Frames by David Drayton, the Kuler 5 Project is going to take a fun and creative community project to new heights.
So What’s It All About?
Basically, people will create a 5 second video project revolving around a theme I specify. I’ll then choose 5 top winners after the deadline and they’ll be featured on a post with an embedded video of their work and a link to their site. I will also do a video critiquing the top 5 videos, pointing out things I liked, things I didn’t like, how I would’ve done it, and how to improve it. That way, you will get constructive criticism and tips which could possibly help you and other peers. The community will also critique your work, bringing new ideas to the table and expanding the possibilities. It’s a learning experience for everyone, even for me!
What’s the Catch?
You will need to use Adobe Kuler as a base for your colors. Kuler is a web based application from Adobe that very easily helps you choose complimenting and visually pleasing colors that go well together. You can create your own color template, interact and share your creations, or use another person’s template!
Why Should I Enter?
Like Nick said, it’s a great chance for you to explore and create something different than what you would normally create. Five seconds is also a great length for a segment of your demo reel, giving your reel a more diverse and unique taste. Aside from this, you’ll learn new techniques along the way as well as a better sense of color and design. Besides, it’s only 5 seconds, have some fun! As a bonus, you’ll also be featured on the site and may gain a few more visitors to your own site.
How Do I Get Started?
- Set your timeline/project to exactly 5 seconds. No videos over 5 seconds will be accepted. Make sure it’s 1280×720 resolution.
- Use Adobe Kuler as a primary color palette for your project. You can choose whichever template you want.
- Upload your video to Vimeo.
- For the video description, link to the Kuler 5 theme post, link to the Kuler color palette you used, and give a brief description of your animation.
- Submit your video URL in the comments section with your name and website.
- Original content only, do not take clips from others. It must have some sort of animation in there, not just all video footage.
- Most importantly, have fun!